Please consider supporting the Copey Learning Center.


FAQ PDF Print E-mail

Frequently Asked Questions!

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the CLC Volunteer Program along with our general answers. If you have any further question or require additional information; please do not hesitate to contact us, it will be pleasure to help you!

When can I start? When should I apply?

Our programs are opening during the whole year. It is important to start applying at least 3 months ahead the time you are thinking to come in order to know if there is an available position and also to have enough time to organize your documents and prepare yourself for moving to a different country.

Is the work paid?

No, your work is not paid, but we provide food, lodging, and transportation from Juan Santamaría International Airport to the community and vice versa.

What qualifications do I need?

All our teachers are native English speakers, who possess a Bachelor of Education or are certified in the teaching of English as a Second Language with previous teaching experience.

Do I need to know Spanish?

It is desirable; it will make your transition easier if you know basic Spanish before you arrive. However it is not a requirement.

Do I need to have a particular nationality?

No, but you will need to be a native English speaker.

Will I need to get a visa before coming to Costa Rica?

It depends on your country of origin. Citizens from the USA, Canada and most European countries do not need to get a visa prior to arrival. Your passport will be stamped once you get into the country, allowing you to stay for 90 days. Every three months, you must leave the country and remain outside it for 72 hours before re-entry in order to renew it. The CLC allows vacation time for all volunteers to be able to reach this requirement, and at the same time enjoy a visit to our neighboring countries of Panama and Nicaragua. These are the most frequent choices of volunteers for their proximity, but you may choose other travel arrangements.
If you plan to stay for one year or more, you can purchase a volunteer visa. In that way, you will not need to leave the country every 3 months. However, getting a volunteer visa could be a complicated process.

How long do volunteers usually stay? Is there a minimum stay required?

CLC require volunteers to stay 3 months or more; 3 months is the minimum length of stay. The longer the stay, the more productive it is likely to be.

How are volunteers chosen?

Our team carefully reviews your CV, letters of recommendation, and application forms before continuing with the interview. We look for people who are highly motivated, committed to serving others, and who have a true desire and talent to teach English abroad.

Does CLC provide medical insurance?

No, you are responsible for providing your own medical insurance.  Before you travel make sure that you are covered by medical insurance in case of accidents or emergencies. There are a number of companies specializing in international travel insurance.

How many people will I be living with?

Depending on your host family you may be living with a family of 3 to 5 People.

Is the water safe to drink?

Water in our community is very safe to drink.

What if I have more questions?

Please contact us with any questions at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

What is the next step?

Send your CV at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or Fill out our online application!



Copyright © 2009 - 2024
Donated and made by